John Rankin Harkness-President of Mechanics Steam Fire Engine Company No. 2-19 Sep 1891 Biloxi

“The Flames” – Biloxi Business District in Ashes – October 13, 1894

Posted on Updated on

 

Biloxi Daily Herald

October 13, 1894

THE FLAMES

A PORTION OF THE PRINCIPAL STREET OF BILOXI IN ASHES.


Business Houses and Residences Were Burned Like so Much Chaff


LOSS ABOUT $75,000—INSURANCE $28,000.

Heroic Action of Firemen and Citizens


Biloxi has again been visited by a conflagration more sweeping in extent and entailing a financial loss greater than that of the fire of June, 1889. Friday morning about 2 o’clock a private watchman discovered flames issuing from the two-story building of Jos. W. Swetman, located on Pass Christian st., main thoroughfare, and in the most densely populated portion of the city. The alarm was sounded and the fire department turned out in quick order, but the flames had gained such headway that it was impossible to save the building and efforts of the firemen were directed to those adjoining. The Swetman building was occupied by J. W. Swetman a drug-store with sleeping apartments on the second floor occupied by his family, and so rapidly did the fire eat its way that the family were only able to hastily gather a few articles of clothing and make their escape. Another portion of this building on the first floor was occupied John W. Henley, as a oyster saloon. Adjoining the Swetman building, and on the west the fire quickly communicated to the engine room of Mechanics Fire Co., and from that to the Masonic Opera House, a large frame structure. Continuing its course west, on Pass Christian street, the two buildings owned by John Eistetter, one occupied by J. H. Murphy as a blacksmith shop, and the other by P. Ferzar, as a lunch house, were consumed as was also the tin shop belonging to Dan Markey, and a small residence, both in the rear and owned by Jno. Eistetter. Crossing Magnolia street the storehouse and dwelling of Miss St. Tual was soon in ashes. The fire in its eastern course was checked with the burning of the market-house of Felix Borries, by the most desperate and heroic work on the part of both firemen and citizens.


Before this time, however, buildings were burning in all directions, and it looked as if the larger portion of the city would be consumed before the wrath of the fiery monster was appeased. Opposite the Opera House the large two-story business house and dwelling of S. Picard was in flames, and in the flying cinders the intense heat almost immediately ignited the residence of W. K. M. Dukate, on the east and a cottage on Magnolia street, owned by N. Voivedich and occupied by F. W. Eaton. With the destruction of the last named building the flames were, checked on Magnolia street, although the house south of it and occupied by T. E. Colline, was badly scorched.

On the south side of Pass Christian street the residence of Mrs. Rich and a small building adjoining, occupied as a candy store were being rapidly reduced to ashes only to be followed in quick succession by the building occupied by Joseph Lawrence as a shoe shop, and the barber shop J. Kilk both owned by George Ohr, Sr. From the barber shop the next to fall a prey to the fiery demon was the large two-story building owned by Chas. Redding and occupied by him as a residence and grocery store. South of Redding’s a cottage belonging to Dr. J. J. Lemon and occupied by Mrs. Kelty, was burned as was also a two-story cottage adjoining, belonging to Geo. Ohr, Sr. On the north side of Pass Christian st., and east of the Swetman building, four small buildings owned by the same gentlemen, were destroyed—one of these was without a tenant and the other occupied by Sing Lee as a laundry; H. Eikel, merchant tailor; and Mrs. Ohr, grocer.


The fire in this direction was checked at the building owned by Mrs. Amare and occupied by Keel & Jennett, grocers. This building was damaged to the extent of about $100, and it seemed at times beyond the power of human beings to save the structure and it was only by almost superhuman efforts that the flames were checked at this point. The destruction of this building would have followed by the loss of many more, and with this appalling fact staring them in the face the firemen worked with redoubled vigor and until their hands and faces were scorched and blistered by the devouring element.


In the rear of the property last destroyed stood the famous pottery of Geo. E. Ohr, whose shop during the past severel [sic] years has been visited by hundreds of visitors from other sections and from almost every State in the Union, seeking relics in artistic pottery. In a few moments the toil and work of Ohr, the artistic potter, was reduced to ashes.

In the rear of the opera-house the planning mills of John R. Harkness & Sons, together with a large amount of finished work and lumber, was destroyed.


In the upper story of the opera-house were the lodge rooms of the Masons and Knights of Pythias. The regalia and all paraphernalia of both orders were completely destroyed, only the secretary’s and treasurer’s books of the Masonic order being saved.


On the ground floor of the opera-house was the office of the Postal Telegraph Co., and the watch-maker shop of B. M. Root, both suffering a total loss.


Fortunately there was but little wind during the conflagration, else the damage would have been more than doubled. As it was, houses several blocks away from the seat of the fire were ignited by flying cinders, and it was only by the closest surveillance that many other buildings were not added to the conflagration.


The Convent of Mercy, situated some distance from the scene, was on fire twice, but before gaining any headway, the flames were extinguished.


During the height of the fire, and until it was well under control, much excitement prevailed among residents in the neighborhood. Houses were emptied of their contents, and vehicles of all sorts were pressed in service to aid in conveying the goods to a place of safety. In many instances this was found to be unnecessary. Household goods were piled helter-skelter in every direction, and when daylight came, the scene presented cannot be described. The area of the fire covers the larger portion of four squares in the heart of the city and as the buildings destroyed were all of wood, there was little resistance to the flames.


[Partially illegible paragraph] paraphernalia, $500; insurance on opera-house, $1500.
Knights of Pythias, $1000; insurance, $600.
Geo. Ohr, Sr., $5000; no insurance.
John R. Harkness & Sons, $3000; no insurance.
Miss St. Tual, $700; insurance, $2000.
Geor E. Ohr, $3000; no insurance.
H. Eikel, $2800; insurance $1000.
J. Kilk, $400; no insurance.
Jos. Lawrence, $100; no insurance.
Mrs. Rich (2 houses), loss unknown.
Dan Markey, $250; no insurance.
Mechanics’ Steam Fire Co., $400; no insurance.
J. H. Murphy, $100; no insurance.
Felix Borries, $400, no insurance.
N. Voivedich, $700; no insurance.
F. W. Eaton, $00; no insurance.
J. Eistetter, $1000; no insurance.
B. M. Root, $400; no insurance.
P. Ferrar, $800; no insurance.


The insurance is divided among the following companies of E. W. Morrill’s agencies:
Royal $00; Harford, $6450; American Fire, $2345; Phoenix of London, $2275; Phenix of Brooklyn, $2550; Lancashire, $2000; Queen, $1500; Liverpool, London and Globe, $3500; Mechanics and Traders, $3200.


In but few instances was any portion of the contents of the burned buildings saved, and then only in a damaged condition. There is also considerable loss in the way of outhouses, stables, fences, etc.


The Electric Light Co. lose [sic] about $6000 in the destruction of poles wires, transformers, etc.


Many of those burned out will commence rebuilding at once. The loss is a severe one to our people, and to many is the loss of all their possessions. The business men who own property along Pass Christian st., to whom a Herald reporter has talked to on the subject signify their willingness to widen the street ten feet on either side than its present width.


The Herald building was threatened by flying cinders, and had it not been covered with abestos [sic], there is but little doubt that the roof would have ignited and it would have been almost impossible to have saved the building from destruction, and that or other and valuable property. Owners having property in the west end of town can thank their lucky stars that this office was covered by asbestos [sic], for had it burned the destruction would have been three fold greater than now recorded.


 

My great great grandfather John Rankin Harkness’s business is mentioned as destroyed in this article. Capt. John Rankin Harkness (1830-1903) was one of the founders of the Biloxi Fire Dept. He was born in Pelham, Hampshire, Massachusetts, the son of William Harkness and Abigail Turner.

Capt. John Rankin HARKNESS (1830 – 1903) — My 2nd great-grandfather

Edna Irene HARKNESS (1880 – 1952), daughter of Capt. John Rankin HARKNESS

John Harkness MORRIS (1901 – 1965), son of Edna Irene HARKNESS

Janie Lucille MORRIS (1935 – 2013), daughter of John Harkness MORRIS

Me, the daughter of Janie Lucille MORRIS

 

 

Charter of Incorporation of The John R. Harkness and Sons Building and Milling Company of Biloxi, Miss.

Posted on Updated on

Biloxi Daily Herald

May 6, 1893


CHARTER OF INCORPORATION of The John R. Harkness and Sons Building and Milling Company of Biloxi, Miss.


Be it remembered that on the 2d [sic] day of January, in the year of our Lord 1893, that John R. Harkness, Wm. T. Harkness, Giles A. Harkness, and J. Lewis Harkness and such other persons as may hereafter become associated with them and their successors, be and are hereby constituted a body corporate under the name and title of The John R. Harkness and Sons Building and Milling Company, and as such may have a common seal, may sure and be sued, plead and be impleaded in all the courts of this State, may contract and be contracted with may own and acquire real and personal property as provided by law, relating to corporations.


Section 2. This corporation is created for the purpose of doing a general milling, building and lumber business and shall exist for a period of twenty-five (25) years, unless sooner dissolved by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the stockholders, and its domicile shall be Biloxi, Harrison County Mississippi.

Sec. 4. The officers of said corporation shall be a president, vice-president and a secretary and treasurer who shall be elected aunually [sic] and shall serve for one year or until their successors are elected. The following officers shall hold the offices of said corporation for one year from the approval of this corporation, to-wit, John R. Harkness, president, ____ _____, vice-president, ____ _____, secretary and treasurer.


Sec. 5. Said corporation may enact such by-laws for its government as may be deemed expedient by a majority of the stock-holders.


Sec. 6. Said corporation shall have such other powers, as provided by chapter 25 of the Annotated Code relating to Corporations.


Sec. 7. This charter shall be in force and effect from and after its approval.


April 22, 1893
29-3w


 

1893-05-06 Biloxi Daily Herald-Ad for JR Harkness and Sons Building and Milling Co

 


1892-11-26 Biloxi Herald-John R. Harkness
1892-11-26 Biloxi Herald John R. Harkness “well known contractor”.
1892-11-26 Biloxi Herald-John R. Harkness 3
1892-11-26 Biloxi Herald – Mention of location “opposite residence of Capt. John Harkness”.
1892-11-26 Biloxi Herald-John R. Harkness 2
1892-11-26 Biloxi Herald-John R. Harkness “Contractor and Builder”

 

Capt. John Rankin HARKNESS (1830 – 1903) My 2nd great-grandfather…

Edna Irene HARKNESS (1880 – 1952) daughter of Capt. John Rankin HARKNESS

John Harkness MORRIS (1901 – 1965) son of Edna Irene HARKNESS

Janie Lucille MORRIS (1935 – 2013) daughter of John Harkness MORRIS

Me, the daughter of Janie Lucille MORRIS

Mayors of Biloxi

Posted on

Biloxi Daily Herald

October 31, 1934

MAYORS OF BILOXI — The earliest records available begin with the ‘50’s. L. E. Pradat was “president of the town” and “selectmen” served with him in 1857. The next record now at City Hall states that James Fewell was mayor in 1861 and James Blythe served as mayor protem  during that year, and the selectmen had become “aldermen.” Other mayors of which there are records are:

1866 – John L. Henley

1868 – Lyman B. Holley

            (There is a loss of records for a few years)

1875 – H. J. Meaut

1877 – Lyman B. Holley

1878-1880 – R. Caillavet

1881-1882 – F. W. Elmer

1883-(part) – J. R. Harkness

1883-1884 – Emile Laudner

1885-1886 – J. A. Bousquet

1887-1888 – Emile Laudner

1888 – John Walker

1889-1890 – Harry T. Howard

1891 – F. W. Elmer

1893-1894 – John A. Bousquet

1895-1913 – Edward Glennan

1914-1933 – John J. Kennedy

1933-1934 – R. Hart Chinn

 


 

Mayor J. R. Harkness was my Great Great Grandfather:

Capt. John Rankin HARKNESS (1830 – 1903)
2nd great-grandfather
Edna Irene HARKNESS (1880 – 1952)
daughter of Capt. John Rankin HARKNESS
John Harkness MORRIS (1901 – 1965)
son of Edna Irene HARKNESS
Janie Lucille MORRIS (1935 – 2013)
daughter of John Harkness MORRIS
Me

Capt. John Rankin Harkness 1830-1903

Posted on Updated on

ddd9dfbc-a250-4be3-a731-2b35e00a789f
Capt. John Rankin Harkness 1830–1903 / Biloxi Pioneer / Architect and builder of many homes, the school and businesses in Biloxi. Harkness was street commissioner on the Biloxi City Council and was a member of the school board as evidenced in The Biloxi Herald newspaper at the time.

 

 


Capt. John Rankin Harkness

 

1830–1903

Birth 26 Mar 1830 Pelham, Hampshire, Massachusetts, USA

Death 11 Jun 1903 Biloxi, Harrison, Mississippi, USA

my great-great grandfather

 


Edna Irene HARKNESS (1880 – 1952)
daughter of Capt. John Rankin HARKNESS
 
John Harkness MORRIS (1901 – 1965)
son of Edna Irene HARKNESS
 
Janie Lucille MORRIS (1935 – 2013)
daughter of John Harkness MORRIS
 
Me
the daughter of Janie Lucille MORRIS

J.R. Harkness is a descendant of two proved Mayflower passengers:
Francis Cooke and John Turner

 

When Capt. John Rankin Harkness was born on March 26, 1830, in Pelham, Massachusetts, his father, William, was 37 and his mother, Abigail, was 36. He married Irene Jordan on November 19, 1868, in Harrison County, Mississippi. They had seven children in 14 years. He died on June 11, 1903, in Biloxi, Mississippi, at the age of 73, and was buried there.

 

Capt. John Rankin Harkness Family Chart
Capt. John Rankin Harkness of Biloxi, Harrison County, Mississippi. Biloxi Pioneer.

J.R. Harkness resided in Biloxi.

90db99a2-38c9-488d-8794-10d7a4cb0f3d
25 Feb 1888 The Biloxi Daily Herald – J.R. Harkness, Biloxi, MS

 

aa97a049-4c99-44a7-9061-b6143ee67728
23 Jun 1888 The Biloxi Daily Herald / Mississippi / J.R. Harkness

In 1888 the state of Mississippi began providing pensions to former Confederate soldiers and sailors, as well as their widows and wartime servants residing in the state.

1888 JR Harkness designed this building. Howard Memorial School-Biloxi, Harrison County, Mississippi

c9cfc16c-e5f4-4f58-99b1-212c3cb01853
J.R. Harkness – Architect – Biloxi, Mississippi 1888
940a553f-c02b-493b-8a4e-1f3d5ec7fbf1
John Rankin Harkness – 23 Jun 1888 Biloxi, Harrison, Mississippi, USA – Newspaper Article from the Biloxi Daily Herald-Contractor & Builder

 

d301cbdd-2fe6-4990-a6df-10bc31482866
John Rankin Harkness-President of Mechanics Steam Fire Engine Company No. 2 – 19 Sep 1891 Biloxi, Harrison, Mississippi, USA Newspaper Article from the Biloxi Daily Herald, Also show W.T. Harkness as 2nd Assistant.
30106a4f-463b-400a-a942-1f092bc97cc7
Confederate Veterans-J.R. Harkness is listed as part of committee of arrangements for a barbecue for ex-Confederates, their families and friends. 8 Oct 1892

Biloxi Herald – November 19, 1892 states J.R. Harkness ran for Alderman.

368b78d1-869a-4384-857e-746f1b207719
1893 John R. Harkness & Sons Planing and Milling Co. of Biloxi, Mississippi Daily Herald Newspaper, Biloxi, MS

 

87e49b34-1c0f-4e80-a2fc-cd952c0f12dc
Capt. J. R. Harkness Contracted to Repair Damages-The Daily Herald, Biloxi, MS 24 Feb 1894
2e5af581-a7d4-4ece-93ae-d05685f6afda
The Harkness Boys Have Always Been Sailors 7 Aug 1897 Biloxi, Harrison, Mississippi, USA Daily Herald Newspaper, Biloxi, MS Note: Their boat was named the May H. (May Harkness?)
8e2d6882-1ca1-4478-801e-c2e8417b8ebc
William Harkness Family in History of Pelham History of Pelham, Page 421. Mention of John Harkness in Pelham as William Harkness’ son.

J.R. Harkness was a member of the Freemasons

61398d8d-54c7-470b-8f31-4c26ad934697
Downtown Biloxi 1902-Photo from The Daily Herald Twentieth Century Coast Edition-Historical and Biographical 1902 Biloxi, Harrison, Mississippi, USA The building on the right side of this photo, on the corner, is one built by J.R. Harkness and his son.
6502d68f-1114-4166-a723-73c78643feb5
J. R. Harkness – Biloxi Street Commissioner 1902 Biloxi, Harrison, Mississippi, USA Twentieth century coast edition of the Biloxi Daily Herald … historical and biographical: “one of the oldest and most respected citizens”

 

dvm_LocHist008526-00017-1
List of Biloxi Pioneers – “HARKNESS” is on the list.
John R. Harkness born-Massachusetts Town and Vital Records 1620-1988
John R. Harkness born-Massachusetts Town and Vital Records 1620-1988 / Biloxi Pioneer
John R. Harkness born-Massachusetts Town and Vital Records 1620-1988  2
John R. Harkness born-Massachusetts Town and Vital Records 1620-1988 Zoom
U.S. City Directories 1822-1995 Biloxi Mississippi Listing for J.R. Harkness' Widow Irene
U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 Biloxi, Mississippi listing for John R Harkness’ widow, Irene.

The Carson edifice at Belle Fontaine, was designed and built by John R. Harkness & Sons of Biloxi.  John .Rankin Harkness (1827-1903), a native of Amherst, Massachusetts, had commenced his contracting business at Biloxi in 1868.  The two-story residence cost $5000 and was shingled from the ground to the cone.  Mr. Harkness and his family and friends occasionally sailed to the construction site, often referred to as “New Chicago”, for a days outing.  J.R. Harkness & Sons completed the Carson home in October 1892.(Dyer, 1895, “Biloxi”, The Biloxi Herald, April 9, 1892, p. 4, July 30, 1892, p. 4, and September 28, 1892, p. 4)

http://www.oceanspringsarchives.com/osfamilies.htm taken from several issues of the Biloxi Daily Herald 1892


e0e00203-552b-4b52-8d61-fa5ed72acf2b
John R. Harkness / Irene Jordan Biloxi, Harrison, Mississippi, USA Old Biloxi City Cemetery
8ce737d3-ff8e-4e5c-84ab-c738a8075b02
John Rankin Harkness Death Notice 12 Jun 1903 Biloxi, Harrison, Mississippi, USA Newspaper Notice from the Daily Herald

 

Memorial on Find-A-Grave for John Rankin Harkness:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=29276167&ref=acom